For some of us, blogging is personal. Others are trying to educate or entertain; many more are hybrids. Yet we’re…
For some of us, blogging is personal. Others are trying to educate or entertain; many more are hybrids. Yet we’re all storytellers. Creative Writing Challenges help you to push your writing boundaries, show off your blogging chops, and, hopefully, spark more post ideas.
To participate, tag your post with DPchallenge or leave a link to it in the comments. (It would also be great if you could link to this post to encourage people to take part – the more the merrier!) Your post should be specifically written in response to this challenge. We’ll keep an eye on the tag and highlight some of our favorite posts on Freshly Pressed on Friday.
In this week’s creative writing challenge, we’re pushing you through a door. Come on in.
The door to your house/flat/apartment/abode has come unstuck in time. The next time you walk through it, you find yourself in the same place, but a different time entirely. Where are you, and what happens next?
If that’s enough to get you started, go, head on out that door and get writing. If you’re still lingering with your hand on the handle, here are a few more ideas to get you through it:
Your place in time-space
A lot’s probably changed in the time you’ve lived here, and it can be hard to imagine what might have happened, or be about to happen down the line. When thinking about where you might end up, time-wise, consider these questions:
- Do you feel passionate about a certain historical period?
- Or are you forever daydreaming about the shape of things to come?
- If your strongest emotions brought you back to a time in your life, when would it be?
- Who used to live here, before you? Who might be here when you’ve moved on?
- What do you think will change most about the world around you in the years to come?
- What do you think has changed most since your parents’ or grandparents’ generations?
- When did some of your best (or worst) memories take place?
- Are you more drawn to gritty realism, far-flung historical romances, or science fiction stories?
- Do you have any regrets? How would you change the decisions you made if so?
Remember, the place remains the same, but the time has changed.
Let us know what was on the other side of your door in the comments, and by tagging your posts. We’re looking forward to hearing about them.