New year, new blog resolution? Yay! Keep your excitement high with resources and tools that’ll keep you publishing through 2017.
Over the past few weeks, we’ve been talking to WordPress bloggers about their blog resolutions for 2017; as the new year begins, lots of us are either starting new blogs or re-committing to existing ones. If that’s you, check out the courses, tutorials, and resources we’ve got to help you realize your website dreams.
Blogging U. courses — on blogging, writing, photography, and more — collect the best advice and expertise of WordPress.com staffers, breaking it down into bite-size assignments delivered straight to your email inbox.
- Brand-new blogger? Start with our 10-day Blogging Fundamentals.
- Want to connect with other bloggers? Commenting Basics to the rescue!
- Trying to build your WordPress know-how or your readership? Give Intermediate Customization or Branding and Growth a go.
- Starting a business? Take Build a Business Website.
There are also a variety of courses to stoke your creative fires and help you hone your writing and photography skills:
- Grab your camera and learn about composition, light, photo editing, and more in Developing Your Eye I and II.
- Use Finding Everyday Inspiration to build a writing habit with 20 days of daily writing themes inspired by the places closest to you.
- Revise your existing writing and learn to approach it with an editor’s eye in Shaping Your Story.
- Get in touch with your inner Emily Dickinson or Langston Hughes with Intro to Poetry.
Each course also has a specific tag that you’ll use on your posts to help you find other participants, so you can make friends while you support one another. Don’t worry — your course will tell you what the tag is and how to use it!
Click on a course name that interests you to see all its details. You’ll see a “Start” button at the top of the page; click that, and you’ll get a welcome email immediately and your first assignment ten minutes later.
Banish the Blank Screen
Some of us don’t want to commit to a course, but could still use a boost. A new website means a world of possibility, but an empty page can be daunting.
- Not sure what to write about? We’ve got daily prompts, along with lots and lots of post ideas — even if you don’t use our ideas, they’re sure to spark some thoughts that will lead you to a new post.
- Playing with the design and layout of a new site can be as much fun as publishing. Designer Kjell Reigstad’s posts cover fonts, colors, page layout, and more, so you can tweak and re-tweak ’til you find your perfect look.
- If you’re building a website (e.g., a site for an organization, small business, your wedding, your band, etc.), a little planning will ensure it includes all the info you need to communicate. Read “Measure Twice Cut Once,” to help with brainstorming and organizing, then follow the instructions in “Where Is My Website?” to set your site up.
For more, take a few minutes to explore the Inspiration and Layout & Design categories here. If you can do it with WordPress.com, we’ve probably written about it! And for an all-in-one tutorial, take a peek at learn.wordpress.com.
Help At Hand
Instructions for every piece of WordPress.com are available 24/7 in our support documents, along with help for any specific questions — browse resources and contact us via wordpress.com/help, or get help with technical questions from the staff and helpful volunteers in our support forums. To get and give feedback on your posts, join your fellow bloggers in our weekly Community Pool thread.
We’re here for you, whatever style of help you prefer. Here’s to a great 2017 of blogging!